Support Block (SB)
A multi-purpose engineered wood structural blocking component designed to conform to the side profile of a wood I-joist... that provides numerous functions with engineered value ratings.
- Provides consistent vertical load performance ratings.
- Substitutes as a pre-cut “squash block”.
- Functions as a quick and accurate means of “stiffening” the web.
- Protects I-joist flanges with nailing through the web only…fewer callbacks and “Red Tags”.
- Helps protect I-joists from vertical point loads at floor perimeter inside Rim Board or mid-span.
- Creates a “solid-end” nailing platform to secure sub-fascia and/or Rim Board to I-joist rafter tails and cantilevered floor joists.
- Available in 12’ lengths to CTS on site to customize special needs for retrofitting existing structures.
- And much more… (see Product Bulletin under LITERATURE section for installation details)
#1 -- SB's are not orientation specific... and can be flipped either way.
#2 -- Once the SB is secured to the I-joist web, additional 8d nails can be used to secure the RB to the edge of the SB. This is very useful for cantilevered floors and roof sub-fascias... where the RB needs more attachment than just one 8d nail into each of the top and bottom flanges.
#3 -- Standard sub-floor adhesive may also be utilized on contact surfaces when attaching/nailing SB's to the side of an I-joist.
In contrast to conventional field-cut 2x4 "squash blocks", the I CHOICE Support Block (SB) is secured with nails through the I-joist web... not the flanges. The integrity of the I-joist flange is maintained, without violating the manufacturer's nailing schedule. The SB itself also does not split when nailed... as often does a conventional 2x4 squash block.
(NOTE: Most I-joist manufacturers prohibit sideways nailing into the flange laminations within 4-6" of the end of the I-joist... where the horizontal shear of the member is most critical.)